Monday, September 17, 2012

Why I need a Snoopy on my Roof!

This is a past adventure on Windy Hill ~ by ever-so-popular request...
Ahem...so my house (as you can see from the very first blog) actually used to have a flat roof.  One of it's former owners decided to put a skylight in the flat part ~ presumably to let much needed light into the no-electrical-having-large attic.  Rain poured in around that skylight terribly.   I'm told this is not a great thing.

No worries, the attic has plenty of light in it nooow...what with all the holes and all.  Meanwhile, I spoke to Michael about said leaking roof.  After much conversation, much wood purchasing and a whole lot of me praying that Michael was NOT blown off the roof by the gale force winds that are part of Windy Hill...the dog house was born...

Did I actually want a dog house on my roof?  Okay, well nooo, I WANTED one of those cool tee-pee looking things...you know...a "turret"
Michael said words about complicated, leaking, and caps and blah blah blah, so somehow a dog house was born.  Now, none of us actually knew it would be a dog house until we looked up and saw...the dog house.  Several people have mentioned it upon visiting...things like "Wow, who put the dog house up there?"  or "uhhh, is that for ventilation?"  Or my favorite  "Hey is that a Cupola?"  Most of them just call it the dog house and speculate as to it's reason for being there.  Well I happen to LIKE my dog house.  I've grown attached to it (could be due to the fact that it is the only portion of the roof that does NOT have a leak in it)  but who can say really.
 I could have gone for the gothic style roof with the raught iron fence around it too, that's always cool.

Except in black of course.   
What I have is my now infamous dog house...what I would like to do is put Snoopy up there to complete the picture...


Wouldn't that look awesome!?  I want a big giant cut out of snoopy and then...I want a Wood Stock weather vane next him.  After an exhaustive search, I have discovered that there are NO woodstock weather vanes out there.  WHAT?  Who doesn't want woodstock on top of their home?  He obviously belongs on a roof ~ is there an anti-Peanuts group out there banning all Woodstock weather vanes?!  There are ducks, and geese, and swans and guns and all manner of none roof dwelling items out there...but no woodstock.
I must also make honorable mention of the window I requested in my dog house (the doggie in the attic needs to see outside doesn't he?)
Window I wanted
I wanted this...turns out those are very expensive...and worse than that, very very heavy.  Heavy+Glass+Windy Hill+ Michael being a monkey on the roof = broken window, mad Michael and crying Melissa.  We can't have all of that now can we?

My next awesome idea was a large window created out of glass blocks ~ Michael made those for the bathroom, why not the attic dog house?
glass block window
They have one>>>of course...that house is reminiscent of the Amityville horror house.  But that is beside the point...Again Michael was with the words about several blocks, and morter, and time and setting up, falling off the roof, and something about quitting, and blah blah blah, and so my mini block window was born.


Isn't that so cool?!  Wanna know what makes it even MORE awesome?  Okay, Michael set it up so that the electrical (when we get some up there) can run to the dog house and I am putting a light bulb in there and I'm going to change it's color according to the season..you know Green For Christmas, a Black light on Halloween, Pastel for Easter...or you know...whatever they make that is Easter-y.

Michael the great Wizard of Windy Hill





 We tested it out...Michael hung a light bulb up there and did some magic something ~ I don't know what ~ to make it light when there is no electricity in the attic..











Michael wears a lot of hats around here, but that is for another day and another blog.
After Michael did the lighty thingy, we all went for a walk down the gravel road in the pitch dark so that we could ooh and aaah over my way cool attic light!

And THAT  is why I need Snoopy on my roof!

Accepting donations ~
zzzz

10 comments:

  1. Was that your dog house on the first picture? Well, it’s kind of small to be described as a dog house. But it looks cool, though. But I would rather install the roof on the third picture on my house, it can serve as a dog house, and it can also serve as my private place whenever I want to remember happy memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Lino. The third picture is absolutely a cozy place. I'd have a cup of coffee every morning if my rooftop is as beautiful as that one. :P Anyway, it's still her decision in the end. So, have you installed your new roof, Melissa? If so, which one among those pictures did you consider?

      Delete
    2. The roof actually does have the dog house on it ~ sans the snoopy. I still want the snoopy.

      Delete
  2. @ Lino ~ you know, I'm going to have to agree, I think I like the 3rd picture best as well. We are quite happy with our dog house though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummmm did I just call Michael "magic Mike" with the whole wizard reference? As IF his ego isn't big enough...oh boy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, the turret would not look good on your roof. The architecture of your roof doesn’t really support the shape of the turret. The mini glass block window is just about the right one for the dog house. Replacing it with any of those two window designs wouldn’t be practical.

    William Gulliver

    ReplyDelete
  5. A turret right above your roof is indeed catchy! It will make your house look like a castle or a tower! You have a lot of wonderful and unique ideas for your roof, I just hope that you’ll be able to achieve it all. How’s your roof now?

    -Chantay Smithingell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have the dog house as pictured...sans the Snoopy.

      Delete
  6. Why is your dog house right up there in your roof? I’ve never thought of setting up a dog house in the attic! Haha! Anyway, whatever you choose to do on your roof is up to you. Choose carefully and choose a good material for your roof.

    -Tiffany Larsen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are breathtaking, green rooftops! The first time I saw a house with a roof like this, I just couldn’t help but stare in amazement. Who would’ve thought of extending their garden right up on their roofs?

    -Tiffany Larsen

    ReplyDelete