Friday, September 21, 2012

The Least Weasel

Have I mentioned the Least Weasel yet?   According to Google, it's found where there a large rodent populations.
Least Weasel
This is what inspired me to call the Orkin Man.  Not the weasel, the large rodent population. The Least Weasel is in my house you see.  Not outside, but hanging out in the house!  I probably have Least Weasel babies running around right now.  He lives upstairs, you can hear him tromping around at night, to me he looks like a glorified Ferret.  In fact,  I thought it was someones pet Ferret left here to be honest.  Turns out they like rodents too.  

Here is what Wikipedia says about Least Weasels of Folklore
The Ancient Macedonians believed that to see a weasel was a good omen. In some districts of Macedon, women who suffered from headaches after having washed their heads in water drawn overnight would set the problem down to the fact that a weasel had previously used the water as a mirror, but they would refrain from mentioning the animal's name, for fear that it would destroy their clothes. Similarly, a popular superstition in southern Greece had it that the weasel had previously been a bride, who was transformed into a bitter animal which would destroy the wedding dresses of other brides out of jealousy.[29] According to Pliny the Elder, the weasel is the only animal capable of killing the basilisk;
To this dreadful monster the effluvium of the weasel is fatal, a thing that has been tried with success, for kings have often desired to see its body when killed; so true is it that it has pleased Nature that there should be nothing without its antidote. The animal is thrown into the hole of the basilisk, which is easily known from the soil around it being infected. The weasel destroys the basilisk by its odour, but dies itself in this struggle of nature against its own self.[30]
The Chippewa believed that the weasel could kill the dreaded wendigo giant by rushing up its anus.[31] In Inuit mythology, the weasel is credited with both great wisdom and courage, and whenever a mythical Inuit hero wished to accomplish a valorous task, he would generally change himself into a weasel.[32] According to Matthew Hopkins, a witch hunter general during theEnglish Civil War, weasels were the familiars of witches.[33]

All very interesting right?  Well this did not prevent me from calling the Orkin man, especially after I saw this:



This verifies the fact that there must be a large rodent population in my house!  This stupid mouse family was living in my empty kitchen drawer.  She let me pull the drawer out and take a photo for pete sakes!  Are you kidding me?!  Well, what did I expect from a house that sat empty for 6 years?  There were also two birds nests in the living room, and the basement was 4 feet high with water...NOT making that up. ...and all the windows in the house were broken...what was I thinking?!
But I digress, the Orkin man arrived as specified.  I made certain that he knew I had pets and children and they they couldn't be harmed in the de-bugging, de-mousing of my house.  He assured me all was well.  He went around mysteriously placing objects around the house, and he sprayed stuff along the baseboards and outside.  Wow...bug free at Windy Hill can you imagine?  

Before he left I mentioned again the importance of nothing harmful to children or pets...say for instance if my cat eats a dead mouse will the cat die?
Orikin Man:  The cat could get very sick...
Me: Okay, well, I can' t have sick cats, can you do something about that?
Big sigh from the Orkin man...he goes back around the house...
Me: Are you going to get in the attic and the crawl space too?
Orkin man: no, no, I didn't come prepared for that, I only came to do a basic treatment.
Me: but I'm paying for a special treatment, they charged me extra...
Orkin man: I'll do it next time...
He explains how high tech all this is and how they come back for free if it doesn't work etc.  When he left, I totally checked out what he put down for the mice...
you wanna know what it was?!  STICKY PADS!! 


High tech indeed.  This is what the Orkin man did, this is what I paid for.  Makes me really wonder what in the world he was spraying.  
I was hoping for the electronic mouse traps...

Way cooler.  I don't think I have to worry about the least weasel getting caught in the sticky traps.   I'm thinking of naming him Frank.  
No mice on the sticky pads yet either, but the Spider population is down to nill. 

Remind me to tell you about the Fertility Frog next time....
Fertility Frog

I Bet you didn't know we were running an animal Habitat around here did you? 



3 comments:

  1. you can NOT name the least weasel Frank... super cute picture though. and your article is wrong... the crowing of a rooster is fatal to a basilisk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had really good luck with the sonic mouse repellants. Your weasel won't like them though so maybe just in the house and attic. We have not had a mouse in here since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes! I've heard of the Sonic Mouse repellents. I had forgotten about that....to think I'm paying the Orkin Man extra for something I could have done for $20.00 myself. Sigh...maybe when he comes back I can ask HIM to plug them in. snicker...

    ReplyDelete