Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Argent ~ Let the Betting Begin!

Alright Cue Argent the Dales Pony here in training.  I spent 20 minutes yesterday trying to put a saddle on an already broke horse!  I mean it, he really IS broke, children have ridden him.  He's been doing this for a long time.

Before we put the saddle on, I wanted to make sure he would soften to the bit willingly.  Before those of you that know me send me nasty emails pertaining to practicing what I preach in regards to a full cheek snaffle bit etc. etc.  please note that this is the bridle he came with and we can work our way "up" to a nice soft snaffle bit.  Right now, we are working on a horses personality disorder...I mean a relationship with the horse.


Asking for a "give to the bit"
He gives I release immediately
Okay, so we got the bit/bridle thing worked out really quickly, in fact, he seemed to enjoy the ground work with the bridle on.  He was lovely, he was giving, he was responding, he was so soft eyed and willing....

So, next, I get out the saddle ~ an English saddle at that because my Western training saddle is in the back of my dead battery car (another blog people)
Putting on of the saddle

Argent was NOT at all happy about the saddle.  
WHAT?! Get that thing off of me now!

I'm serious!  I do not WANT!
Then he got over that, due to my gentle correction ~ disengage the hip, stop, back up...OR if you want to move your feet, lets move them the way I want you to.  This took all of...oh 5 minutes...
The second time I put on the saddle

Good Boy Argent!
Now THAT is what I like to see.   What a difference.  The REAL trick is...will he stand like the above pictures from the very start when I do the very same thing tomorrow or act like he's never seen a saddle before?  I think he stand quietly...

If anyone is starting a betting pool, let me know how you all do.  Ashley you best be betting on ME!

The next thing I did with Argent today was bring out the big, bad horse eating childs motorized tractor.  Confession time:  I did not get a photo of the *actual* tractor because my son is the photographer in all these  Argent photos, and when he was on the tractor he couldn't very well be taking pictures....and I couldn't take pictures because I was working with Argent.



SO...about Argent and the tractor...he is supposed to be terrified of said tractor, apparently this only occurs when he is not eating it or following it around.  My son drove that tractor around in the round pen with us being as obnoxious as he could possibly be (and he is VERY good at obnoxious)  the first 4 years of his life the only thing he heard when we were in the barn was "B----- Stop that! You are going to kill me!  I am on a horse."  Well, that and the sound of me hitting the dirt.  

But I digress, Argent was completely focused on me and what I was doing and did not pay any attention to the tractor at all.  We were doing simple ground work in the bridle, nothing too taxing, and he didn't even flick an ear in the direction of maniacal child and whirring, moving, wheel spinning tractor!

Afraid indeed.

***Side note*** has anyone else noticed that it is always overcast in all  of these photos?  Is it true that a rain cloud is sitting over my house at all times?  
You be the judge
Does any one else see the doggie? Hmmm, maybe I should have gone with the gothic style roof after all....






No comments:

Post a Comment