Monday, August 12, 2013

PAST ADVENTURE post ~ continued cabinet saga

Well, as you know, the cabinets were indeed level.  However, it turns out that those “special cabinet screws and molly’s” that I mentioned in “The Broken Level” post did not move when the cabinet did.  

This meant that when daughter *C------- touched the cabinet one day that it fell down.  Dobby put it back up…but not next the other one…up one inch.

His solution to the cabinets being at different heights?

“I’ll get a dang board and put  under it and then they will be level” he states putting his hand under the cabinet that is now one inch above the other one. 

My cabinets, yes the double one on the right is an inch higher than the falling off one on the left

 I looked at him an noted that “This will not make the cabinets level, it only illustrate the fact that they are not level and someone put a board under the cabinet and I will have an unlevel cabinet with a board under it on my wall.”

He argued this point for quite some time, until I gave up and decided to be grateful that the cabinet was, once again on the wall.

This however, does bring us to the next section of the “cabinet saga.”
 Some background…the cabinets that are seen in the kitchen were here when I got the house, they are old, worn and somewhat in disrepair.  I boldly fixed them.  One in particular I fixed by placing a piece of wood at the back of it in order to stabilize the back wall of the cabinet.  I was quite proud of my silly-self at the time.  Sounds pretty intelligent doesn't it?  Yes ~ well….it’s not, because you see the cabinet that was so wondrously “fixed” also has to be hung on the wall.  A big old piece of wood on the back of the cabinet makes it pretty difficult to hang on the wall now doesn't it? 

But not for my “Wonder Dobby” ~ he hung it anyway.  We are currently waiting for that cabinet to fall as well.


cabinet coming out of the wall


Perhaps when it does we will level it with the other one? 

I must make honorable mention of the things that we did get right:  The little kitchen cabinets were hung expertly with the correct special screws, mollys, level and ledger.  I love my little cabinets. 
My little cabinets with traditional Auntie paintings placed in the center of the doors

 The one other cabinet on the wall was never taken down, so it's hanging steady.  The microwave "shelf"  is steady  as well.  I am grateful I have it, since I have very little counter space (and the counter is still crooked)  Alright ~ yes ~ I KNOW the shelf is ugly, and warped, okay?  When my house Dobby does a thing, he does it for function, forgetting that I am a girl and I like "pretty."  It works, it holds the microwave and one day I will get a pretty shelf for the microwave, for NOW I am not going to complain about the wood he chose for the shelf.  The Goth girl in me did not hesitate to note that we have several other choice pieces of wood that could have been used.  I ignored her and the Sunshine girl in me quickly noted that the microwave is NOT on the crooked counter.  All three of us left it at that:)
Never moved cabinet and my microwave shelf


 And THAT is the tale of  my kitchen cabinets  ~ to be continued for sure when we re-hang the falling down cabinet and get a new shelf:)

No comments:

Post a Comment