Sunday, August 11, 2013

PAST adventure post: The broken level

PAST Adventure post :  the Un-level Level or the broken level
 

Alright, alright:  I am fully aware that these posts have gotten terribly out of order.  Thank you for the emails letting me knows that (really) the adventures happen around here on a daily basis and I don’t have an abundance of time to be playing at the computer.

I know I said I would make an effort, I know I said I would keep you updated.  I say a lot of things; I just said last week that I believe in unicorns to an older gentleman on the phone with me.  I stand by the unicorn statement.
photo credit www.fanpop.com

 So ~ in light of the out of order posts ~ Please note that THIS is a “Past Adventure Post”  Much like the “Pantry that could” post.

My kitchen has “quasi” cabinets.  They sat upon the floor for a month before the then visiting Dobby came over to hang them up for me.  I was armed with utube videos and advice from the local Ace hardware fellow.  We were going to hang the cabinets…

By “we” I mean “Dobby” while I work. 

The first attempt


I was very specific in my directions to the Dobby, “Make them Level”  I said, “Hang them with the special screws and molly’s” I said  “Follow the directions” I said

When he had hung the cabinets Dobby pranced proudly into the office after I got off of work to announce, “It is done!”

I excitedly rushed into the kitchen to see my cabinets…they were crooked, they were not even level with each other much less …just..level. 

“Did you use a ledger?”  I asked sounding quite knowledgeable thanks to diy shows.

“Yes, of-course I did” Dobby replied pointing to the tiny screw holes where the (uneven) ledger had been.

I cocked my head and thought a moment…

“Did you use a level?”  I asked again, sounding very much in the know.

“No” Responded Dobby  “I couldn't find one.”

“Couldn't find a level?  We have about three of them.”  I am getting a bit frustrated at this point.

“Well, the only one I could find was the one in the basement and it – it is broken” Dobby states crossing his arms over his chest and looking at me in his Dobby fashion.
“Broken?” I ask,  “How is it broken?”  I raise an eyebrow at him, ignoring his ever-darkening demeanor.

“The bubble only stays to one side, the bubble is broken” Dobby made this declaration with total confidence.

I am flabberghasted!  ‘The bubble is broken?’

As calmly as possible I say quietly “Where is the level with the broken bubble Dobby?”

Dobby produced said “broken” level.



Taking a deep cleansing breath I take the level from him.  I set it upon my (crooked) counter.  The bubble slants to the left.

“AH! HA!” Dobby screeches!  “You see!  It’s broken, broken I tell you!”

Something in snapped, I am ashamed to say that I raised my voice quite a bit and ranted
“OF – COURSE it the damn bubble went in one fricken direction Dobby!  It’s a damn crooked counter!! That is how these level things work!!!!  This house is 200 years old, the counter has been vandalized of course it’s crooked!!”

picture credit : www.signpost-online.co.uk 

I slid the level roughly to a level portion of the counter and – miracle of joy! The bubble slides to the middle…indicating that at least one portion of the counter is level. 

In a huff I storm out of the room muttering things about levels and bubbles and ledgers.  Dobby wisely stayed in the kitchen with his “broken” level and the crooked cabinets.

After some time and a lot of praying I realized that the poor man really had tried.  I didn’t specifically instruct him to use a level nor did I explain how a level works.  In my defense:  the goth/pessimistic side of me fiercely reminded me at this point that every man on the planet Earth probably knows how a level works.  I ignored that part of me and went in to talk to the now pouting Dobby.

“The Cabinets have to be fixed” I state.

The Cabinets were fixed and level.  Lovely.

But ~ this is WindyHill and there is more to the story.

Until next time…..

No comments:

Post a Comment