Sunday, January 25, 2015

Ripple ~Pay it forward...my story!





In 1997 I needed jumper cables in order to jump start my ever-lovin-blue hoopty ride.  I asked a neighbor for a jump.  The neighbor was overjoyed???  I thought it was weird, but whatever, the car needed to be jumped it's all good.  She rushed into her garage, and brings me a set of bran new, never opened jumper cables.



" I have been waiting for this day for over 4 years!"  she exclaimed with excitement...



(in my mind I am thinking, glad I could help you out)  I didn't say that of course, I just smiled quizzically.



She explained further, "Four years ago, I needed jumper cables, I was in a parking lot and asked a man nearby if he had some, he opened his trunk and handed me a bran new never been used set and  he said ~ keep them, just pay it forward.  If anyone ever asks you for a jump you pass these on.  I promised him I would, and you my dear friend have answered my prayers of four years.  That day, I went and bought these to hand on to the next person and here they are."



She finished by brandishing the jumper cables towards me.  I reached tentatively for them, almost feeling guilty.  I started to tell her I would bring them right back.  She would have not of it!



My happy neighbor leaned towards me and said



 "Now, I am going to ask the same thing of you.  If anyone ever needs a set of cables, please pass them on"



I thanked her profusely and promised to myself that I would do so.  I didn't buy a new set of cables that day, but about a week later.



It wasn't until 2008 that I was in an apartment complex parking lot when a young gentleman walked up to me and said



"Excuse me, Miss, do you happen to have a set of jumper cables I can borrow?"



I was thrilled!  My reaction got the same response from him that I had those many years ago.  I clasped my hands together and said



"OH! Yes, I have been waiting for just this occasion!"



The gentleman literally started to turn away from me, thinking I was being sarcastic.  I quickly reassured him.



"No, no, I am serious!"  I opened my trunk and brandished bran new jumper cables at him with a flourish.



I told him my story and asked him to please do the same for someone else should they ever need a set of jumper cables.  He promised he would.



I really hope he does, I hope that it's the set of jumper cables that makes it around the world, all because one man in 1993 helped my neighbor, she helped me in 1997, and I helped someone in 2008, maybe in 2015 we will see a facebook post, or Youtube video of the jumper cables continued saga.



~ Those of you who were there that day ~ do you remember this?!



For real,  pay it forward people.  It's a feeling that really can't be beat.  Be awesome today!



No comments:

Post a Comment