Saturday, January 17, 2015

My Miniature Horse Foster Project....

So, let me start at the very beginning in regards to my new Foster Mini...

My friends mom the enabler sends me little facebook messages all the time in regards to animals needing foster homes or adoption.  As if I really don't have enough animals around here.  

Well, in a weak moment, I clicked the link...that was the first step to my journey down the fostering road...I read the story of Hoosier Hooves and Hounds organization: http://hoosierhoovesandhounds.org/

They had taken in several miniature horses from a place in Indianapolis that had all of the animals confiscated.  Several of them were Equines.  The conditions they were kept in were deplorable, and there were signs of abuse as well.  There were even animals on the property that were deceased.  It was so very sad to hear about.  So, I offered to take in a foster, leaving the decision of which mini would be best suited to come here up to the director of Hoosier Hooves and Hounds.  

After going through the proper steps of being interviewed and filling out the necessary paperwork and applications, I was approved as a foster home for a miniature horse.  

They were kind enough to bring her to me.  Her name is Morning Glory.  She is about 3-5 years old and she is doll.  She is a little paint with one blue eye.  She is very sweet and gentle.  She arrived today, and we put her in the pen with Pony. 
Pony and Morning Glory

 I intend to train her to trick train her this winter in the comfort of the barn and train her to cart next spring/ summer when it is warmer.  I think that will help to be very adoptable!  I am so excited about helping this girl to find a new forever home.  I get the benefit of playing with a horse and someone else gets the benefit of giving a wonderful animal a forever, loving home. 

I will post updates on her progress on this blog for those of you that like to keep up on the daily adventures around here.  (yes, yes, I know I am way behind) 

So, today, is day one, and I am just going to let her hang out with Pony and get acclimated.  Tomorrow, I will take her in the barn and play with her a bit and see what we can do from there.  I took the halter off of her right away so that the impressions on her nose will go away.  Check back in tomorrow for what happens on day 2. 

The lovely, Morning Glory


2 comments:

  1. Melissa, you are so kind and generous. I hope this project brings you much joy and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for saying so. I think it will be fun, and it's always nice to give back to the animals that have served mankind for so long:)

    ReplyDelete