Monday, January 19, 2015

Foster Project Day #3

Today is Day #3 since Morning Glory arrived.  I have to admit, I seriously considered making this a "foster fail."  I live this little girl.  She is so willing, so sweet, so trusting.  You couldn't ask for better in a Mini ~ or any other size horse.  

After considering it for awhile and discussing it with my son, we collectively decided that it's best to just allow Morning Glory to go to a great forever home.  The biggest reason being, we will do not  need another horse around here.  That would mean selling pony (in with the new and out with the old and all of that.)  
"Pony"
That would be okay, except for a few minor details:
  • Pony is an escape artist ~he would end up back here anyway ~ with a passport, stickers and an attitude. 
  • He likes it here ~ he may not like it anywhere else.
  • Pony and Donkey have a love/hate relationship and if Pony leaves Donkey will be sad.
  • Pony may rebel and never be caught again by his new owners. 
  • A friend of mine has "shared custody" of Pony and it woudl be hard to give him his half. 
  • No none except for us would put up with Pony's shenanigans.  
It's all true you know, Pony is here to stay.  We have made a commitment to tolerate, bribe, brush, coddle and roll our eyes at him forever.  Thus, the charming, and endearing Morning Glory will have to be allowed to go to a wonderful forever home that will dote on her and allow her to enjoy the wonderful life she so richly deserves.  I hope they have children.  She really likes children.  This will also give us the opportunity to help more Equines in need.  We can't keep them all and I am not going to be a collector.  

I really believe that in situations like this, when the right family comes along it will be an instant match and all of us will be happy about it.  

But I digress, because Morning Glory is such a wonderful mare, I decided to go ahead and put the harness on her and do some long-lining with her in the halter. 

***Disclaimer I don't share each and every step with you on this blog.  You see "jumps" in progress. I wouldn't recommend putting a new horse in a harness without previous work prior to doing so.  Please keep this in mind when you see huge improvements within a day.  That simply means I worked with the animal earlier in the day and based on the body language and attitude of the horse, I felt it was okay to move forward in the training.  This applies to all scenarios." ****

(ahem) having said all of that so that no one (horse or human) gets hurt lets move on.  It started out a bit rocky, she was confused when I put the long lines on tried to steer her.  It didn't take long for her to catch on and we went down the driveway and back up several times with very few issues.  I have found that when training to cart, the thing so many people seemingly skip is the quiet "whoa."  What is it with a cart horse that makes it so hard for them to stop and stand?  We are starting Morning Glory out right.  She is going to stand quietly and stop immediately.  We will make certain of it.  
Morning Glory in the Harness learning to long line.
 ~ Speaking of which, this harness is a bit small for the larger Morning Glory, so I would be happy to take a donated harness  ~ hint hint.  What a sweet, lovely mare.  She is progressing so quickly.  I knew in my heart of hearts she would have no problems with the harness at all.  I will be doing this for awhile, then we will add some weight to equation.  Last but not least, the bridle and then, finally, the cart.  It shouldn't take long at all with this girl!  

Meanwhile, I didn't want to slack off on her trick training either.  If she stays around long enough I expect her to be a very well-rounded girl that will be happy to do anything asked of her.

This time, my son did the honors of asking her for the obeisance. I took a yucky photo, but the result of the request was awesome!  
A more proper looking Obeisance! 
The catch with asking Obeisance is getting the horse to understand several things, one of the most important things in this exercise is that the horse understands to rock back on her hindquarters and lower her withers.  Morning Glory is getting much closer to doing that.  This is the closest yet.  The rocking back on her hindquarters does several things, it teaches balance, it encourages her to use her back muscles and engage her hind, and it will help her to be more fluid under saddle or pulling the cart.  I don't want a horse stuck in frame like a block, but a fluid moving happy horse. 

We will be doing more of the same things for a while, so I will take a break from the posts until we can make another "jump" in training.  

Thanks to everyone for the private emails and PM's on facebook!  I am enjoying this so much and I am so very happy to help!  

**Last Plug I promise ** 
  • Morning Glory is available for adoption for the VERY low price of $150.00
 (nope, I'm not even kidding) 
  •  Adoption application must be filled out, interview conducted, references checked etc.  
  • This is all done through hoosierhoovesandhounds.org  **

No comments:

Post a Comment