Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Day Argent Went Home

This post could have about 5 different titles really...like The day I almost quite smoking/The day we almost froze in the rain/ The death of a tire/ The saga of the Starving Cats/ Why I have the Best Boss ever/How to: survive on potato chips and bread/No coffee and a headache ...well this list could go on...and it may:)

It all started out innocently enough.  Myself and Argents owner planned to meet up with each other and evaluate his progress.  This calls for working with him and his owner.  His owner also brought a lovely pony to be quickly evaluated as well.

The original plan was to go on a quick trail ride, as it covers several evaluation points on several horses at once and it really gives all parties an opportunity to get a good idea of what they are looking at and the work involved (or not)

Mind you, these plans were laid on a lovely day of about 65 degrees, sun was shining, birds were singing we even decided to have the kids along. (human kids)
The day plans were made...


Cue the ever present storm cloud and the arctic blast of cold wind on Windy Hill.  Drizzling rain, wet ponies, shivering child and two goofy ladies that want to play with the ponies...(That would be myself and Argents owner)  At some point I'm each of us separately questioned our own sanity and yet...we kept going...why?  Because it's FUN!
How it felt the day we actually did this!


In dealing with animals you must be ever ready to change plans/clothes/goals/shoes/tack and animals:)  So, change of plans, quick evaluation of pony and super fun ~ albeit wet and cold ~ lesson with child on pony.  So far so good.  Pony and child took it all in stride.

Next for Argent, our ever full of personality Dales Pony.  From the very moment I took him out of the pasture his every movement told me he was in a mood today.  (Oh Geez)  But I was sooo looking forward to showing him off, I had been so proud of him (and myself) the last time we had worked together, he was forward moving, ears  perked, eyes shining, smile on his face, only one or two tricks to remind me that he liked to play and then pleasure pony at his finest!

NOT SO TODAY!  Now, he started off agreeably enough, a few little quirks here and there, I wanted him to raise the withers a bit and bend around the leg more, maybe a touch softer to the bit...but everyone needs to warm up right?  So, he was a little stiff...he was agreeable enough and he worked along as asked.  That was with his owner...now I got on him in order to to get him to bend a little more and be a bit softer and more "liquid"

Naturally, this is when Argent decides he is finished working for the day.  If ever you have worked with a Draft breed that has said "I am finished for the day" , you know first hand how long it can take to convince them otherwise.  The worst part is, he had NEVER exhibited this behavior to me before.  A spook, a snort, a trick here or there, but never "All four brakes and you can't make me go" !!   I felt like Squidward on the spongebob episode where Squidward was trying to get the rock to drive....of course the spongebob reference could have come from the mind numbing cold that Argent apparently didn't mind a bit!
NOT moving! 


Well, as you know, we had to follow through.  So, I am on this very stubborn boy for quite some time *note it was the Parelli method that won out and finally got him going.  I sheepishly admit, I was proud of him and it made me happy that he did it.  

We all piled into the house for some much needed heat with our hair dripping, hands freezing, toes aching and numb noses...hey ~ all in a day right?  This is everyday stuff for me, so no biggie.  I did feel incredibly bad for the children.  You know kids, you tell them to go inside and stay warm, and they want to stay outside and point and laugh  (ahem) I  mean, watch the adults.

Now back outside to gather all of Argents belongings...okay...all seems to be going well, so  being the wimp that I am, I venture back inside the house.  I know, I know that was totally cruel.  I should have helped load.   In my defense, both the pony and Argent load very quickly and easily.
Argent and Cisco load very easily


Once inside my son and I get our belongings gathered for our trek back to the other place.  I have  kittens to tend to, Cats to tend to, other horses to tend to, a warm dinner to make...yep..time to go.  I get in the car and the phone rings... It's Argents owner...

They are stuck at the end of my driveway.  Well, it is muddy, and the truck and trailer are unfamiliar to Argents owner.  No problem, I agree to go down and hold horses while she gets un-stuck.  getting unstuck only took a few moments...then came the part where she was trying to realign everything and back out with out the horses.  Mind you she made it all the way down my very long driveway.  During the realigning process her truck tire hits the edge of the cow grate...POW.  Yep, tire blew!

No problem, they decide to call a tow truck.
tow truck is called....
Well, it turns out that NO tow truck company anywhere has some special part needed to take a tire off.  Or something like that.  Either way, there was noone coming to save them on this cold, rainy and now dark night.   I offer again for them to come up to the house and share some hot homemade soup with us.  The offer was politely declined...I'm pretty sure that my fate is sealed here.  They will probably never come back again.  Meanwhile, Argent and Cisco are hanging in the round pen.

4 HOURS later, they end up going to a hotel nearby.  If anything CAN be considered nearby to my house.  I'm way, way out in the country.   This has to be the most expensive horse training EVER! I stress to myself.   Gee Whiz, and they are such nice people too.  

Meanwhile, my son and I are effectively trapped here on WindyHill for the night.  Why?  Well, the truck and trailer are at the end of my driveway...stuck...maybe permanently from the looks of it.   I can't go around, as the fields are muddy and then I will also be stuck!

I try to call my boss in advance to let her know I may be late.  I only work ONE day a week IF I'm called in and I am extremely grateful for that one day when I get it.  I want my boss to like me and call me again. No answer of-course.

Tomorrow is another day, all is well.  

SO~ it's tomorrow, I tried calling my boss again.  No answer.  This means, I will be calling after I am already supposed to be there.  Strike ONE.  *stress*  Plus, by now I'm sure Argents owner has decided my driveway is cursed and will probably have both of her horses Blessed when she gets home.  *stress*
picture credit: http://www.davegranlund.com 


This leads to our next minor problem.  All we have in the house is 1/2 a bag of chips.  B---and I argue over those.  He wins.  I shuffle in to get coffee.  We are OUT Of coffee.  Oh Lord no coffee?!  How will I survive?!  My son snickers at me while he contentedly eats chips and drinks water.   Fine, I have water too.  Yummy.  


*stress* Argents owner is probably calling all her friends right now expanding on the dangers of using country trainers.  *stress* My boss finally answers the phone, and even to my ears it sounds like I am lying...

Boss:  You are stuck at your house because there is a trailer at the end of your driveway?  Really?  Can't you just ...drive around?  
Me:  I can't drive in the farmers fields, I'll get stuck too.
Boss: well, hurry up, do you think you will be here soon?
Me:  Oh yes, I'm sure it won't take anytime.
STRIKE TWO!
*stress* I hope Argents owner and her kids got to eat...what if they are starving?  Hope they were comfortable.  Wish I could offer to pay for the cab ride/hotel/tow truck/help.  Oh sure, I could offer but they don't take fake fairy dust and smiles any more at most establisments.  

In my no coffee having mind, and stress induced state this all somehow became Michaels fault.  If HE were here, he would have had that truck/trailer unstuck a long time ago, I would be at work and everyone else would be home and happy and warm for goodness sakes!  But nooo, he wants to play house with the Fairy Princess and leave me trapped here forever..forever...forever...(yes it really echoed like that:)  


I had purchased my very first Electronic Cigarette the day before.  I smoked (outside the house of course) the very last real cigarette the night before.  I LOVE my electronic cigarette.  I'm pretty sure I would have ridden a horse to the store to buy cigarettes (and coffee while I was at it) if I hadn't had it.  I am officially hooked on these and soo soo happy I tried them.  

My boss calls : Are you coming in?
Me: yes, yes, I am I sware...they are doing things down there now, I'm sure it won't be anytime.  
Boss:  mmmh hmmm, well hurry as fast as you can....can't they call a tow truck or something?  
Me: No tow companies have a part that's needed for something about a tire.
Boss: what?
Me: I don't know,  but they are doing things it shouldn't be much longer.
Boss..."yeah, okay, see you soon then"
STRIKE THREE!
My undying gratitude to my Boss for not firing me on the spot!!  I was 3 hours late by this time!!  3 hours?!  Oh my gosh can you imagine?  

Soon enough I get the call that all is well and we can all get out of there.  Argents owner had called back up reinforcements and once they arrived, everything went smoothly and they were able to get out with no problems.  *stress* Argents owner probably really hates me now, wonder how much it cost for the reinforcements to drive all the way here from a state away!!  AAAAAH  

Quickly, I gather everything and leave...FIRST I have to go to the gas station as I was running on empty.  Next, we need FOOD.  Third, my electronic cigarette has run out of...vapor or whatever it is...

Finally, to my place of work. Now, I have to break it to my boss that I have two huge dogs with me.  STRIKE FOUR!  (who in the heck gets four strikes...ever?!)  I say a quick prayer and tell her about the dogs.  This woman has the patience of a Saint and barely missed a beat before telling me where to stuff the dogs....(in crates in the crate room of course, there is plenty of space that particular day for big dogs)  I wanted to bow and grovel to her, but she just wanted me to hurry up and get to work, no time for groveling.  On Bosses day I 'm going to steal..no ...pick...no..buy her flowers and candy!  I am SO lucky.  
    


In the end Argents owner, her family and her truck and trailer, make is safely back home and all is well.  She doesn't have an never ending grudge against my home on WindyHill or it's driveway, and has even agreed to come back when she needs more training with her horses.  We will make arrangements in advance for truck and trailer turn around:)








No comments:

Post a Comment