Thursday, December 7, 2017

It's all about the gloves

So, it's getting to be that time of year again... the time of year in which my old, country, farm house atop Windy Hill gets... well, windy.  This means that I get cold.  I work at my computer a lot typing... cold fingers and typing don't mix! 

Today was the day... today was the day that I rolled my eyes, and begrudgingly brought out my "finger gloves" because my hands were so cold that it was making it difficult to type.

Finger Gloves in action! 
As I put the gloves on each hand, in my head I have a running commentary about how "This is why I am moving South as soon as possible!  I was not made to be in a cold climate.  I despise doing this every year.  I should have fixed those drafts this summer!  (and on and on it went) as I am having my "It's so cold" pity party.  I happened to glace up and look out the window so see the over cast sky, blowing wind, and a winter tree.

Winter Tree in yard
I began to continue on my rant about the cold, when it occurred to me, I could be outside right now.  Which brought me to an entirely new line of thinking... I could work outside... all day long in fact.  What if - I asked myself- these gloves, with no fingers, were the only gloves you had, and you were working outside all day?  At this point, I looked down at my finger gloves, and realized, I am very lucky to even have gloves.  In fact... I purchased this particular style of gloves just so I could  cut the finger tips off of them!!  Here I was, whining about how cold it is in my house, when I have a house to be cold in!

I then went on another rant


  • I have gloves to cover my hands
  • I have a computer and keyboard to use for my hands
  • I have the internet to write this blog, and many other things
  • This means I have a job
  • I am inside 
  • I am inside my own home
  • I am inside my own home and it has a yard!
  • My yard has trees
  • Trees are good
  • I am free to look at my good trees from inside all day long

And so it went...

The moral of the story is; no matter how bad I have it, it could be worse... so be grateful for what you DO have.


No comments:

Post a Comment